Govt | Est. null | Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Madras Medical College & Govt. General Hospital In 1857, it gained affiliation to the University of Madras. After the affiliation in 1857 the College moved to be a center of excellence imparting training in all the specialities in the field of medicine and surgery and it is now one of the premier institutions in the country with under graduate, post graduate and super speciality courses.
A private medical hall run by Dr. Mortimar was regularised as a medical school and it was opened by Sir Fredrick Adams, the then Governor of Madras on 2nd February 1835. The Governor promulgated an order to make the school a state sponsored one and attached it to the General Hospital.The first batch of students graduated in 1852 and were granted the Diploma of Graduate of the Madras
The Courses offered by the Madras Medical College are affiliated from 1988 to the “The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University”This College has nine affiliated institutions with hospitals, each one of them recognized for excellence in Health care services.The Government General Hospital, one of the premier Institutions in the country was started on 16th November 1664 as a small Hospital to treat the sick soldiers of the East India Company. It was the untiring inspired efforts of Sir Edward Winter who was the agent of the company that materialised in the first British Hospital at Madras. In its early days the Hospital was housed at the Fort St. George and in the next 25 years grew into a formal medical facility. Governor Sir. Elihy Yale was instrumental in the development of the Hospital and gave it a new premises with in the Fort in 1690.
The Hospital moved out of the Fort after the Anglo French War and it took 20 long years before it could settle in the present permanent place in 1772. By the year 1772 the Hospital was training Europeans, Eurasians and natives in allopathic methods of diagnosis and treatment and methods of preparing medicines. These trained personnel's were posted to various dispensaries in the district head quarters of the then Madras Presidency to assist the qualified doctors. By 1820 the institution had the recognition as the model hospital of the East India Company. So in 1827 Dr. D.Mortimar was appointed as the Superintendent of the Hospital.
|B.Sc Cardiac Care Technology||7|
|B.Sc Cardio Pulmonary Perfusion Care Technology||10|
|B.Sc Radiotherapy Technology||20|
|B.Sc Clinical Nutrition||20|
|B.Sc Neuro Electro Physiology||10|
|B.Sc Radiography & Imaging Technology||20|
Madras Medical College & Govt. General Hospital
Address: Poonamallee High Rd, Park Town,
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600003
Phone: 044 2530 5000
No. 139, 1st B Cross, 6th Block, BEL Layout, Vidyaranyapura Last Bus Stop, Bangalore, Karnataka - 560097